Overview. Oct 15, 2014 15:05:57 GMT Select PostDeselect PostLink to PostMemberGive GiftBack to Top Post by Admin on Oct 15, 2014 15:05:57 GMT Appleby's parish church dates back to the early 14th century, although it is likely that there was a church on this site from Saxon times. Inside is the tomb of Sir Edmund de Appleby and his wife Lady Joan, who lived at the Moat House around the time of the church's construction. Sir Edmund fought at the Battle of Crecy with King Edward III, and his family continued to occupy the Moat House until 1560.Socially and geographically, the church is the centre of the village. As Appleby nestles in its valley, its tall spire is visible from every direction.Above text and image courtesy of the Appleby Magna Village Web site (www.applebymagna.org.uk).A contacts list plus details of church service times etc. can be found in the the Parish Newsline.